Martin is a Partner in Bermans insolvency and restructuring team and joined in 2020.
He has a law degree and qualified as a solicitor in 1998.
Martin has over 20 years experience as an insolvency and restructuring lawyer, focusing mainly on transactional and advisory work. He is a very familiar face in the North West restructuring market and has extensive experience acting for insolvency practitioners, corporates, ABL and other lenders advising on restructuring and new lending matters.
Clients find Martin “commercial, practical and approachable.”
T: 0161 393 7119
James Whittaker is a Senior Associate in the insolvency team, having joined Bermans in 2019 after practicing law at large international law firms since qualifying as a solicitor in 2012.
Prior to qualification, James studied Psychology at the University of Liverpool and then converting to law at the University of Law at Chrisleton.
James has experience acting for and advising companies, individuals, directors, creditors and office-holders within insolvency proceedings in respect of both contentious and non-contentious assignments.
Currently, James has a focus on contentious insolvency proceedings and is regularly instructed to issue and defend applications under the Insolvency Act 1986 and the Insolvency Rules 2016 including:
- Applications for injunctions to restrain presentation of or advertisement of winding up petitions,
- All stages of the creditors’ winding up petition process, including opposing a petition which is disputed in good faith on substantial grounds;
- All stages of the bankruptcy petition process, including applications to set aside statutory demands and disputed bankruptcy petition hearings;
- Full range of office-holder applications arising from the administration of insolvent estates against directors, companies and individuals (including misfeasance/preference/undervalue/void dispositions),
- Acting for Trustees in Bankruptcy against individuals and companies, applications for possession and sale and annulment applications;
- Administration applications include applications to challenge validity of appointment, and administration extension applications;
- Applications for block transfers of office holder appointments.
Outside of work, James likes to spend as much time as possible outside either cycling (having recently completed Haute Route Alps) or walking/camping in the hills of North Wales and the Lake District. James is also an avid follower of professional cycling, and Liverpool Football Club.
T: 0161 827 4605
On Tuesday 3 September, Bermans sponsored the latest Blockchain Manchester Meetup, hosted by our friends at BlockRocket.
Our Head of Corporate, Jon Davage, was there to give the audience a brief introduction to the services Bermans offers to entrepreneurs in the tech sector. Also present was Rob Eakins from our Commercial and IP team, who has been a regular attendee at these blockchain meetups.
Michael is a Senior Associate who joined Bermans as a trainee solicitor in 2008.
Following his degree in law and qualification in September 2010, he joined the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team based in the firm’s Liverpool office.
Michael’s focus is commercial litigation and he provides specialist advice to clients in relation to a wide range of disputes, including shareholder and partnership matters, warranty and covenant claims, property litigation and complex, high-value contractual disputes.
Michael prides himself on his approachable and positive attitude, and clients appreciate his ability to explain complex legal issues in simple, understandable terms. Always keen to keep matters firmly in a commercial focus, Michael works with clients to resolve disputes and meet objectives in the most cost-effective way possible.
Tel: 0151 224 0513